A friendly, mixed, fundraising choir, sharing their LOVE of singing.
For all comers (male voices are especially welcome!) wanting to be part of a performing community choir using singing in positive ways to change their local and wider world for the better
(If a choir sounds too much and you’re looking for something that’s less of a commitment then find your way to the Drop In Chorus sessions)
DO YOU WANT TO:
- Fill your head with a repertoire of gorgeous songs?
- Spend time with a friendly, mixed group of positive people?
- Work gently towards some singing performances to fundraise for local causes?
- Share your love of singing with your community?
- Contribute positively to your local community just by doing one of the things you love – singing more?
- Develop your singing skills in a supportive environment?
ARE ANY OF THESE THINGS TRUE FOR YOU?
ARE YOU ANY OF THESE:
- Frustrated that you’re not singing or not singing enough?
- Sorely missing the singing you used to do long ago in school or church or among the spectators at the match?
- Envious of all these people now performing in lovely choirs?
- Longing to be involved in a positive movement of like-minded singing people?
- Uncomfortable with the conflicts and wrangling in society and wanting to DO something positive and unifying by singing with others?
- Daunted by the idea of a very formal choir membership and searching for something more light-hearted?
WHO ARE WE?
Click here to find out more about us.
WHAT DO PEOPLE LIKE ABOUT GROWING SINGING?
Clare asked her existing groups what they like about Growing Singing and among their answers was:
“It makes me feel happy. I like the variety of music. It makes me laugh.”
“The camaraderie. Feeling part of a group. Lovely sense of achievement when it all comes together. Helps to leave the stress behind“
“Your good humour! I feel so good at the end of the evening and sing all the way home – very uplifting!“
“The accepting atmosphere you create”
“I like the really friendly large group. It is a great way of being able to sing with people who make a very good sound when you are a bit self conscious, don’t have a strong voice (i can stand next to people who do!), don’t like feeling exposed but love the idea of singing with others“
“Now don’t blush but your teaching style is excellent – always come away uplifted“
“The supportive atmosphere, which follows from your positive and encouraging approach. It feels safe to make mistakes“
“You are so patient when we need something repeated; this means we feel we can sing with confidence. You also seem to know when to challenge us, which is good“
WHAT’S “THE GROWING SINGERS” ALL ABOUT?
The Growing Singers is our name for this performing community choir which is a little different to our Drop In Chorus sessions and Rachael’s auditioned choir .
- Life is no bowl of wholly ripe and sweet cherries. It never has been and never will be for any of us. And we love the idea that by singing together – and getting others singing – we can make some indefinable positive difference to ours and others’ lives
- This is about sharing singing, not just about performing songs and yes, we’ll be performing
- This is about having a positive effect on our local community by sharing both our songs and our love of singing
- We’ll learn gorgeous songs by ear (you don’t need to read music) and keep up that repertoire of songs to be able to perform them
- We’ll sing a lot of course!
- We’ll sing in a supportive environment
- We’ll all be developing our ability to share our love of singing with others locally by arranging performances at which we get others singing
WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF YOU JOIN?
- There will be a minimum of 30 meetings a year at which we learn songs and improve the sound of our song repertoire together preparing them for performance
- You’ll be invited to sing at a minimum of 2 community events a year at which we share songs and do some fundraising for local causes
- You’ll have access to the members’ area of the website with words and song parts for what we’re learning so that if you miss a session you can catch up and not miss out
- You’ll learn a lovely variety of new and old songs from all sorts of singing traditions that are great fun to sing in several parts. This will include beautiful arrangements of well-known and rarer songs. You’ll be building a repertoire of those songs with the choir over time
- You’ll experience the delightful challenge of learning new songs and improving on established repertoire
- You’ll be taking on the learning of somewhat more challenging songs than those we learn in the current Monday evening/Tuesday morning drop-in groups
- You’ll be part of a friendly local community of people who love singing
- You’ll already be fundraising just by your membership of the choir as we’re donating 5% of all membership subs straight to GROWING WELL , a local charity just outside Kendal offering free, effective support for local people’s mental health on an organic farm.
- You’ll also be raising funds for other charities that we agree together.
WHEN DO WE MEET?
WHEN? Tuesday evenings between 7pm and 9pm
WHERE IS IT HAPPENING?
WHERE? The Town Hall, Kendal
WHAT DOES IT COST?
£23 a month
If you commit to joining then you’ll pay £23 a month paid 12 months a year on a monthly basis by direct debit using a system called Go Cardless. Contact us if you’re thinking of joining so that we can tell you when we’re next welcoming new members.